Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Step 2: Beefing Up the Immune System


I have a HSA account with my current employer which means each year I have a set amount of money that I can use towards medical expenses. When I leave my company all that money disappears. So before my departure date I plan on using as much of the money as I can.

I scheduled a dental cleaning appointment which is covered under my delta dental account. However any uncovered or co-pay procedures I am able to use my HSA account money to cover my half of the expenses. Well I didn’t have any cavities and cosmetic procedures are not covered.

I then moved on to vaccinations. I scheduled an appointment for travel vaccinations. Upon arrival I met my doctor who asked where I was going. I started verbally listing all my destinations starting with Ireland then working my way through Europe and by the time I got Northern Africa, I noticed that he had stopped taking notes. He looked up at me as if I was joking. I assured him that I was not and in fact had many more.
After listing off all the places I was recommended to have the following vaccinations: PolioHepatitis A/B, MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), Tdap (Tetanus Diphtheria), and Typhoid. I guess I won’t be fully covered for hepB as the vaccine consists of three separate shots with separations of one and six months a part; meaning I will only be getting the first two shots. I would have another appointment a month from then to get my second HepB shot and to pick up Malaria and general antibiotics.

To my surprise all this was fully covered by insurance meaning I did not need to use my HSA money towards. So now I need to find further expenses that will eat up my account. I guess I will be taking a trip to CVS to load up on medical supplies or scheduling extra wellness medical procedures.

No comments:

Post a Comment