Monday, January 26, 2015

Mouse feels "funny" on Mac OSX

At my new job I was given a Mac to develop on. It took a little bit of getting use to to, but after a few days I had almost everything dialed in. The only thing that was super annoying was the feel of the mouse, particularly wireless mice. It was so annoying that I just ended up using a wired mouse.

My trusted wireless Logitech and Microsoft mice felt "funny" when using it on OSX and no matter what I did with the settings I could not get it to feel normal. I finally took a bit of time to look into this and appears that Apple deploys a different curve of scaling the acceleration curve. There have been several attempts to correct this with various apps such as ControllerMate, SmoothMouse, MouseCurves, but I found that the terminal fix to be quite adequate for what I need. Its no Starcraft 2 max APM precision, but enough for what I need on a dev machine.

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

This terminal command will make mouse movement much smoother and more familiar. To reset it, just replace the -1 with a 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment