Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Eiffel Tower

IMG_5747

The most iconic momentum in Paris would be the Eiffel Tower. It is arguably the most recognizable building in the world. At night the tower glows in an orange outline. Every hour, a light show begins and hundreds of bright white bulb randomly flashes outlining the structure of the tower. Whenever this happens, the hordes of tourists all pause with a synchronized gasp of "ahhhhh", then a rapid fire of flash photography explodes from the crowd as people try to capture the moment. It is truly unique sight.

IMG_5753

The first time I saw the Eiffel was from the Trocadero metro stop, across the Seine. The funny thing about seeing the Eiffel from the direction is that there are fairly large steps going down right when the Eiffel appears. Furthermore the light post above that area was burned out. So, when people first gaze up to see the Eiffel and continue walking forward, numerous times people forget to look down and are surprised by the step. Most stumble forward and some even fall. It is very entertaining to watch.

IMG_5771

I went to the top of the Eiffel with a friend that just happened to be visiting Paris and her co-worker. It was a long line and a lift takes us to the first level. Throughout the journey up the towers numerous signs warned us of pickpockets. The second level of the Tower is open meaning there are no windows hindering pictures from being taken. Another line forms going up to the top. My wallet and I made it safely up to the top, where there is an enclosed area with windows forming a 360 degree view of the cityscape below and a stairs that went to an outer section. The outer section is incredibly windy which made taking photos extremely difficult. A beam of blue light is emitted from the top of the tower and spins around like a lighthouse.
IMG_5780
IMG_5783
IMG_6150
IMG_5803

2 comments:

  1. Hey dude,

    Are these shots HDR? If so, what software are you using to compile them? Also, I saw you have a 10mm lense and I'm jealous.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope all those are straight out of the camera with some horizon aligning, levels adjustment and slight sharpening. I took an HDR of the Arc de Triomphe that I just posted though. So far I have used photomatix for my HDR images usually at -2, 0, and +2 ev. I've read you can also do HDR with a single RAW file, but I have yet to try it out since its more time consuming process.

    BTW so far I've only used the 10-20mm a handful of times, the 17-50mm is usually on my camera the whole time. Mark is bringing me my 70-300mm when he gets in, hopefully I will use that more.

    ReplyDelete