Saturday, July 26, 2008

Vilanova i la Geltrú

The second day I wake up to the chatting noises of my roommates. I quickly realize that it is check out time and hastily pack up my bag and grab my sheets to turn in at reception. In the all the commotion I accidentally turn in my white dress shirt with my white sheets, oops. I drop of my luggage at Nang’s as today I am heading out to Villanova i la geltru which is a small town just south east of Barcelona.

IMG_2466

I was able to get a hold of Llusia who I met back in Korcula Town in Croatia. She has invited me to join her and her friends to a day out on the beaches of Villanova. After dropping off my main pack I arrive at the train station to purchase my 2.70€ ticket to Villanova. I look up at the signs unable to find the right route I need to take as none of the signs say Villanova. I guess I must have looked pretty lost and confused because another bystander at the train station came over and spoke perfect English to ask where I was headed. As it turns out she is also headed in the same direction on my train, so I follow her to the right platform.

IMG_2460

The train ride is about 45 minutes from Barcelona to Villanova. Rocio is going to the town before my stop which is Sitges. Rocio works at a hotel in Sitges and lives in Villanova. After telling her about my travel itinerary, I come to discover that she is quite the world traveler as well. She tells me that Sitges is touristy destination for Spaniards and suggests that I check it out if I have the time. She even offers to show me around. We exchange information before the Sitges stop and I wait another 5minutes and arrive in Villanova.

IMG_2467

Lluisa and her friend are at the station to pick me up and drive directly to the beach. Unlike the fake beaches of Barcelona, the beaches of Villanova are natural. Our plan for the day is to go sailing on a Pati Catala which is a small wooden catamaran unique to Villanova. It is easiest with two people, so I gladly step up to stay and take a nap on the beach as the previous night was exhausting. Time passes quickly and I awake to Lluisa and her friend returning. At that point we are all hungry so we walk back towards the town to get a bit to eat. We arrive at a seafood restaurant and order fish, and different kinds of calamari.

IMG_2458

After some food it is my turn to go sailing. Llusia is an expert on the Pati Catala and directs me where to sit and lean. The small boat is easily manageable by two people and since I am the fat ass of the two, I have more sway over what the sailboat does. There are two hulls on this catamaran and I am seated on the left. If I move my body forward the boat will turn to the left. If I move my weight to the back the boat goes right. A rope on a pulley determines how taught the main sail line is and how fast we go. The winds are much stronger than in the morning and we are able to pick up much more speed. A turn is done by a combination of dragging my legs in the water and moving the sail. To do a 180 turn I have to stand up to the front of the catamaran and lean my body into the sail while pulling a series of ropes until the boat turns the wind again catches in the sail. It was probably one of the coolest and most interesting activities I’ve done on my trip.

IMG_2470

That night I meet up again with Nang and his crew to check out the fountain show at the Plaza de Espana. The fountains of the Bellagio cannot hold a flame to this show. The water fountains check colors and shape synchronizing to the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment