Sunday, July 13, 2008

Woke Up In Madrid

I boarded the train from Pamplona to Madrid around 10:40am. I am exhausted from San Fermin and quickly pass out in my chair. Next thing I know the passenger next to me taps me on the shoulder and we are in Madrid. I had slept through the entire trip. In addition I didn’t even write down the date on my Eurail pass and was able to get a free travel day. A train ride from Pamplona to Madrid for 6€ is quite the deal.

IMG_8512

The metro ride to Faby’s place was quick. In face it was only a few steps down from the train station Atocha Renfe. The metro system in Madrid is especially clean. There is hardly any trash on the floors and the carts are spotless. The icing on the cake is that the carts have air conditioning. There are even flat screen tv’s in the carts and in the stations playing news. I am quite impressed with Madrid’s metro.

IMG_8509

I arrive to the first hostel that my friend Cristina recommended near the Opera metro stop. I come to find that they are booked full. I am able to stay in the common area to use the internet and quickly realized that all hostels are booked full for that night. I talk to Cristina over skype to see what I should do and she was able to get a hold of friend that could host me. Her friend Faby met me at another metro station and was able to walk me back to her apartment. Faby speaks perfect English and was nice enough to let me stay at her place. That day I walk around the city center and explored parts of Madrid.

IMG_8515

As luck would have it all the museums are free on Sunday, so I go and visit them that evening. I was only made it to the Pardo museum. The Pardo museum is full of paintings and some of the famous ones include artists such as Bosch, Goya, and Rubens. In the museum I ran into a Chinese girl that I had met in Pamplona. She is from Hong Kong and recognized me when I was in the museum. By the time I got out, I found that the other museums were all closing.

IMG_8508

That night I was suppose to move to Cristina’s parents place, but they had just returned that evening from a weekend trip. So after talking to Faby, I decided to stay one more night and go there the next day around noon, siesta time.

No comments:

Post a Comment