Monday, August 11, 2008

Extreme Glacial Water Canyoning: Interlaken, Part III

DSC_1448

It is our last day in Interlocken and I awake early yet again and scramble to find an empty spot on the 7hour canyoning trip. Luckily the company that I had booked the rafting trip had spots available and I even got 10% off since I this was my second outing with them. We are dressed in pretty much the same gear as rafting but with extra helmet and waist strap diaper looking contraption. Our helmets each have a call sign on them. My helmet was Rocky.

DSC_1445

The bus took us to grab some energy food for breakfast and then to the top of the canyon. We walk through the forest for a quite a long trek before coming up to the entrance of the canyon. The first jump is the tallest at roughly 20meters. At this point the guide informs us that if there is anyone that doesn’t feel comfortable doing this that this is point of no return because once you’ve jumped down this waterfall there is no exit except for down. There are numerous jumps and slides ranging in sizes. My favorite one was where you have to run out and jump out past a gap to where your back hits the side of a slide. Then you slide down to a drop. At another point we do flips off a 8meter cliff and then climb up to a 16 meter cliff to do jumps.

DSC_1735

DSC_1487

At the end of the day we are tired and get some snacks before heading back. On the way down to the bus we are attacked by swarms of horse flies. We take turns quickly removing our wetsuits and defending ourselves from the flies. For some reason they are attracted to the wet suites. The day was probably one of the most extreme experiences I’ve had at Interlocken. The photographer wanted to sell us pictures for 48 Swiss Francs, but we cannot see the pictures before we buy them, we only get pictures of ourselves and group shots and finally the pictures are shot on medium jpeg on a Nikon D50 with kit lens. Hardly worth it if you asked me.


DSC_1587

DSC_1550

With Hyunh gone I head back to Geneva to figure out what I am going to do. I cannot go back to any Schengen countries and I cannot stay much long in Switzerland since it is so expensive. So I found a flight to Morocco for 120 Swiss Francs via easy jet. However my flight wasn’t until the 19th thus giving me plenty of time to explore more of Switzerland.

DSC_1559

DSC_1558

No comments:

Post a Comment