Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hammam: Spa Day

P8260748

James aka Rasta and I decide to pamper ourselves and head to the Moroccan hammam. The Moroccan hammam is similar to the Turkish hammam, in fact I am pretty sure they are exactly the same. James and I opt for the touristy version of the spa treatment and skip the local hammam spa. We walk to the main square to grab the traditional glass of fresh squeezed OJ, this is almost ritual now anytime we walk through the square. As we finish our drinks a kid with flyers comes by and is handing out cards and 10% off coupons for the touristy hammam. He leads us all the way to the spa and collects his commission.

P8260745

The touristy hammam is called Isis. It is slightly more expensive than the traditional local’s hammam. There are vast differences. Isis spa does not have separate hours for men and women, is far cleaner and offers massages as well. James and I ended up getting a couple’s deal since it was cheaper than getting individual ones.

The hammam went like this, we are told to change into our boxer or swim wear and then put on robes. We are lead into a steam room. Inside the room is a cement bench with a basin for collecting water. A woman comes in and uses a large bowl and gives me a shower using the water from the basin. Then she lathers me up with a black perfume soap. The soap is not your traditional bar soap; it’s more like a gel. Then she again rinses you with the bowl.

P8260750

Step two is exfoliation and the hammam gloves comes into play. The glove, on the palm side, has the harder side of Velcro stitched onto it. The idea is that the scrubbing action exfoliates the skin. Some people find it painful, others find it relaxing. I fit into category number two. After that I get another shower.

Step three involves clay. So I get smeared head to toe with clay and thent he lady leaves the room. There’s not much communication because of the language barrier. So I end up sitting in the steamy hot room, covered in a thick layer of mud, and not knowing what I’m supposed to do. Right before the clay hardens which happens to be right before I’m about to pass out from the steam, the lady comes back into the room and I get a proper shower from the rain faucet above the room.

P8260798

The next step I re-robe and head to the top floor’s solarium to relax. About 10 to 15minutes later I am called downstairs for a 30minute massage. By the end of the treatment I come out glowing. All this was about 480 dirhams split two ways so roughly 27 USD.

No comments:

Post a Comment