Monday, September 8, 2008

Appleshaw: Proper Village Life

IMG_0556

My next stop is London. There are many factors in this decision. To get to Turkey from Morocco one way flights cost between 800-1000 USD, while a flight from Gibraltar to London and also London to Istanbul totaled less than 300 USD. In addition, somehow my credit card information was stolen and charges started to appear from Miami, FL so my replacement card has been sent to James’ house in Appleshaw.

The Emilie Hostel in Gibraltar is perhaps the worst hostel I've stayed at in my 6months of travel through Europe. I am not at all reluctant to leave this place. In the morning Nick, Paulina and I set out on foot to the airport. They are flying to Spain and I will fly to Gatwick, London. Gibraltar’s airport is quite unique. There is a major road and pedestrian walkway that cuts right now the middle of the airstrip. So we walk across the land strip and say our goodbyes at the airport.


IMG_0542

I landed in London early in the morning and booked a train ride from Gatwick to Central London. I bought a slow ticket since it was much cheaper than the Gatwick Express, fast train. Then I accidentally got on the Gatwick Express and didn’t realize until the train had already departed and tickets were being checked. The girl checking tickets wanted me to buy a Gatwick Express ticket, but after much bargaining she let me off with a warning.

I got to Central London and made it to Victoria Station well ahead of the departure time of my bus to Appleshaw. I end up at the same Library near Victoria Station as several months back to relax and do some reading. After taking the bus I end up arriving at James’ pretty late at night.

IMG_0580

James wasn’t kidding when he said I would be staying at a proper village. The country side of England is cold this time of the year. Everything is green and roads are narrow. We were able to check out a proper village pub where, like cheers, everyone knows your name. Or in this case James’ name. The next day we checked out the Salisbury Cathedral.

IMG_0584

The next day Cheri made a trip down from Leeds on her way to Whales. She stopped by for a night and we took a trip to Stone Hinge. Stone Hinge was one of the sights I missed on my original path through the UK, but now I get to see it. We got the audio tour of Stone Hinge with the tickets and from all the audio we came to the conclusion that no one really knows how the site was constructed and the physical feat of lifting such a big and heavy stone from whales to its current location is about as amazing as the Pyramids of Giza. On our way back from Stone Hinge we saw a tank.

IMG_0585

No comments:

Post a Comment