Monday, October 13, 2008

A Dub

IMG_1137

There are two Nancy’s in the Cerner Middle East offices now. To avoid confusion we have adopted Nancy 1.0 and Nancy 2.0, who is only here temporarily from the states. 1.0 and 2.0 are both working in A-Dub aka Abu Dhabi this week and it turns out that the there is a Abu Dhabi Film Festival is also this week.

In the morning we all end jump into 1.0’s car and head towards A-Dub. I was driving and it takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get there from Dubai Marina. I have to say it feels good to drive again. That is one thing I have been missing about the states. Although the car was a 1.8L Civic Automatic, the feeling of being on the road again was quite good.



IMG_1202

The commuters can be split up into two categories. The first group consists of normal people driving around the speed limit. The second group is the crazy-ass Emiratis that are speeding on the left lane tailgating, flashing their high beam, impatiently swerving back and forth. These guys are really annoying. I wanted to do some cultural exchange and introduce them to the bird. I didn’t know that at the time, but apparently giving people the bird in Dubai is illegal.

IMG_1174

A-Dub is a more family oriented city. There is less glitz and glamour but roughly the same atmosphere. I visited the gold mosque which was impressive and it was free to check out. People were still installing parts of the carpet when I was visited. The outside was still being landscaped.

IMG_1187

The rest of A-Dub wasn’t really all that impressing. I went with a friend to check out the UAE culture center. Needless to say there wasn’t much there and felt really fake.

IMG_1206


That night 2.0 got us tickets to see a movie at the film festival. It was to take place at the main mall at A-Dub. The only other film festival I had experienced was the Cannes Film Festival in Nice. The A-Dub film festival was much less important. It didn’t feel like an actual film festival. We all got tickets to see Vicky some Barcelona. Each scene of the movie reminded me of the time I spent in Barcelona and reminded me how unique the Gaudi architecture is as I was instantly able to recognize each location. The movie was pretty good too. Scarlet and Penelope Cruz had several pashing sessions, that’s how Aussies say ‘making out’.

IMG_2861

No comments:

Post a Comment