Monday, October 6, 2008

Dubai Marina

IMG_1267

This morning I took public bus ride from Al Quais to Dubai marina. It took almost 4hrs. By car this journey is no more than 45min to an hour. The bus stops are supposedly air-conditioned but the one I am waiting at is not. The clientele of the buses are purely Indians and Filipinos. By the time we arrive at Diera, most of the Indians get off. By the time we get past Bur Dubai, most of Filipinos are gone. By the time the bus gets to Dubai Marina area the bus is almost empty.

IMG_1260

Dubai marina is a posh part of town. Everything is new and expensive. The marina is full of expensive yachts and is surrounded by tall skyscraper apartments. I get off at a stop that is close to the giant GH building that Nancy told me to look for and trek across a construction site. All the roads in the area are lined with orange construction barricades and I have jump over several blockades to get to the entrance of the Iris Blue building. I bet a backpacker walking around in the Dubai Marina area is almost as awkward of a scene as it can get.

IMG_1266

I am greeted at the font by a Filipino security that makes me sign in. I take the lift up to the 15th floor to Nancy’s 1bdrm apt. Nancy happens to have another friend staying over. Ashleigh is doing a modeling gig over in Abu Dhabi, another Emirate. We ended up checking out the Buddha bar that is directly across from her building. The drinks run around 50 UAE dirhams each which is about 14 USD.

No comments:

Post a Comment