Friday, November 14, 2008

Ghost town Nuweba

IMG_2338

The beaches of Nuweba is littered with resorts and beachside huts. However most of these accommodations are empty. This use to be an Israeli vacation mecca, but recent terrorist threats has capsized this seaside destination.

I stay at a small stick hut along with the two Canucks. In the morning, we go and rent snorkel gear to check out some of the corrals that are just off shore. The diving is pretty amazing with a shallow reef system directly off the beach. I’ve never seen this much marine life before and it is amazing to watch. It looks like you living what you usually see on the travel/discovery channel. At one point a giant school of small silverfish with a bright reflective lateral stripe circles us and all you can see for a couple of minutes are fish, fish, and more fish. It almost gave me vertigo.

IMG_2366

The reefs are really shallow and since its low tide we can only swim along the edges of the coral reef system. The colors are amazingly saturated and the waters crystal clear. Near the edges I could see clown fish and various smaller tangs. I saw my first pipe fish which at first I thought might have been a sea snake because of its shape, but upon closer inspection the snout was a dead give-away. It was bright yellow and swam away into the shelter of coral as soon as I saw it.

IMG_2368

The waters were really cold and after just two hours I already to go back to land. We drink coffee along the deserted beach to warm up in the sun. In the distance you can see the countries of Israel, Jordan, and Saudi. There is not much to do here, but I’m glad I stopped by for a nice relaxing time before heading towards the touristy town of Dahab.

No comments:

Post a Comment