Monday, November 10, 2008

Like Kris Kross I also Missed the Bus

Yesterday I grabbed a minibus back from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Back at the Faisal hostel I hear news that the Japanese Journalist has returned to grab his things and is now being deported back to Japan and blacklisted from returning to Israel. I don’t have too much time to talk and ask questions as I am taking the fast track back to Jordan. I miss the bus back to the Allenby Bridge Crossing and end up staying the night there.

The next morning I travel back to the border and move through much quicker this time. I take another minibus ride to the capital city of Amman and then finally a minibus ride down to Petra. After getting into Amman a taxi driver tries to rip me off by taking me the wrong station which is closer but doesn’t offer services to Petra. Luckily I shared the taxi with a Jordanian that lived in San Francisco and she caught on to it. Half way during the ride another Muslim woman and the former San Franciscan started yelling back and forth in Arabic. Finally they she turned to me and disclosed the fact that this guy was going to drop me off at the wrong station and they were arguing in my favor to get to the correct bus station.

IMG_1925

I arrived in Petra in the evening. It was already dark, I was hungry, and I had heard that Valentine Hotel was at the top of a decently steep hill. At the drop off point a man in a truck was sitting there waiting for me. He said that he works for the Valentine Hotel and drops people off between the bus station and hotel. I suspiciously ask who much he charges and it turns out to be free. At the top of the hill I find Valentine Hotel and take a moment to breathe in enjoy the view. Tonight the hotel offers an all you can eat dinner and I can’t wait.

IMG_1930

That night I realize that a two day Petra entrance pass is a better deal than the single day. Then you can always sell the second day. This is exactly what another group of Americans are doing. So I buy the second day off of them for a huge discount. That night I also discovered Petra beer, which looks amazingly similar to Coors Light.

IMG_2960

No comments:

Post a Comment