Monday, May 5, 2008

Paris @ Night

IMG_1304

I am not a morning person. The night is so much more interesting. I bought a week long unlimited metro pass the following Monday. It's only worth it to buy it on Monday as the cycle always refreshes on Mondays. I began my adventures of exploring Paris every evening around 9:00 pm as the sun sets, the golden hours. Armed with a camera and no tripod, most of the shots were pretty difficult to achieve. I tried to take my Canon Rebel XT whenever possible with the two lenses: a Sigma 10-20mm and a Tamron 17-50mm lens, but most of the time I only had the Canon SD800IS. On my DSLR setup, 50mm is the longest zoom with 1.6 sensor crop factor equaling 80mm on a full frame, I was definitely missing the zoom aspect for many of the shots. Nonetheless here are some of the sights of Paris seen at night.

The Eiffel Tower


IMG_5765 IMG_6040
IMG_6038 IMG_5769

The Louvre @ Night


The Louvre was probably the place that had the most photographic potential. I would have been able to get more shots if I had a tripod.
IMG_6148
IMG_6120
IMG_6116
IMG_6094

The Arc de Triomphe @ Night


I reached the Arc de Triomphe around the golden hours of light. I was able to find several places to lean my camera against to take steady shots. There were tons of photographers with tripods around all taking advantage of the excellent light. I wonder how many other people had been here taking the exact same angle and exact same shot.

IMG_5987
IMG_5988 IMG_6009

Sacré-Cœur Basilica


IMG_1456
Sacré-Cœur Basilica is an old Roman Church that sits on top of a hill in Northern Paris. Because of its elevation it provides an excellent panoramic view of the city below.

In the evening, many people gather to sit on the steps going up to the Church, which in turn attracts many street performers. One evening George (an Aussie I met in London) and I were kickin' it on the stairs when, two groups of fire breathers started to perform. Each group performing for a different group of people at different levels of the stairs.

Mouglin Rouge


Nuff said
IMG_1441

Food


I walked by some random shop that had an impressive display of foods.
IMG_1311
IMG_1312

No comments:

Post a Comment