Sunday, June 15, 2008

Berlin Zoo

I saved the best for last and decided to give the Berlin Zoo and Aquarium a full day. Tickets were around 14€ for both the Zoo and Aquarium. Looking back at it, no one really checked our aquarium tickets, so I probably could have gotten into the aquarium for free.

I was really impressed with this zoo. There were a lot of viewing areas where you could get pretty close to the animals. There is a moat around the area and animals come pretty close to the viewers. The orangutans were out and one of them even posed for me.

IMG_7446

IMG_7486

IMG_7506

The polar bear was out swimming along the edge of his enclosure. He would submerge and then jump out of the water towards the viewers.

IMG_7549

IMG_7530

The panda bear was sleeping the first time we walked by, then the second time he was eating a carrot. It was kind of strange to see a panda bear eating a carrot.

IMG_7496

IMG_7558

The aquarium section was really interesting to me. I used to have a planted freshwater setup back in school and I also had some dendrobates (dart frogs). Both of which were exhibited in the aquarium section. They had both salt and freshwater tanks but I was more impressed with the fresh as the salt was much better in Monaco.
Aquarium_Panorama1

IMG_7615

This is an Arowana. It gets really big so I haven't had a chance to keep one yet.
IMG_7603

IMG_7626

Dendrobates Azureus
IMG_7643

After we left the Zoo we got a currywurst for 2€ and headed back to the hostel.

1 comment:

  1. 5.12 earth quake destroyed most facilities at a panda research center in Sichuan, China. Consequently the survived pandas in that center were distributed to the zoos all over China.

    ReplyDelete