Sunday, June 29, 2008

Scuba Diving Vela Luka

IMG_8098

In the morning hours, Mark and I say good bye to Korcula and take the first bus across the island to Vela Luka. There we have arranged two dives with the local dive center. Upon arrival, the owner of the dive shop picks us up and we immediately start picking out our equipment. All the dives are do are boat dives and the boat is small inflated air boat. This requires that the dive a back flip dismount into the water. In previous dives I have always down the giant step, and the flip is much more fun. One of the first things I noticed when I got into the water is how clear it was. I could immediately look below and see school upon schools of fish swimming beneath me.

IMG_2147

The day we dive Kitty's Dock and Vranine and the following day its the Blue Hole and Saint Ivan's Bay. All of these dive routes are made up and discovered by the local divemasters. For each dive the waters are crystal clear and thus visibility is exceptional. It is sad, but I left my underwater housing for my camera at home so I was unable to get any underwater pictures. The waters are warm, but at the depths we went to I was glad to have a 5mil wet suite. My favorite was Saint Ivan's Bay. We drop off to about 18meters (60ft) and swim along the a cliff drop off.

IMG_2149

The owner of the shop even let us stay at their instructors lodge for the night. It is about 45C (115F) in Vela Luka and there is no air conditioning. We decide to take a siesta after the first day's dive. I am exhausted and at around 6pm I pass out and do not wake up until the next day. The night is bit cooler, but not by much. Mark sleeps outside that night. After the diving the next morning we hop on the next bus back to Korcula Town.

IMG_2164

No comments:

Post a Comment