Thursday, June 19, 2008

Views from the Petřínská Rozhledna

IMG_7823

The Petřínská Rozhledna is a steel tower that I've noticed since the first time I walked across Charles bridge. To the right when coming towards the castle I would see the tip of it rising above the park's forested area in the Mala Strana area. This structure looks like a mini Effel Tower and is gray in color. It was 50 korunas ($3.50 USD) to get to the top, I was balling at the top of my game threw down a 1,000 koruna bill. I had gone to the ATM earlier to withdrawn a g and I was expecting lots of bills, but much to my disappointment it turns out it was a single.

IMG_7775

IMG_7853

IMG_7853

A series of winding stairs lead up to two levels of the structure. The first balcony area is open and has plenty of room for people to walk around. At the very top, it is much smaller and is enclosed by windows. They prevented pictures from being taken. However there were some panels that are left open to let the breeze in. There is a three hundred sixty degree view of Prague below. It was pretty interesting listening to all the different languages that were spoken in the top compartment. It was definitely a touristy thing to do.

IMG_7849

IMG_7848

On my way down I realized that there are actually two sets of staircases separating the up and down traffic. It was noticeable that the structure actually shifts slightly with the blowing of the wind, kind of scary when walking down a flight of stairs that you can see through.

Prague_Panorama1

No comments:

Post a Comment