Thursday, June 5, 2008

Notre Dame: Revisited

Notre Dame is a place I've already seen and from my initial glance of it I was a little bit disappointed. This time around I went to check out the towers of Notre Dame with Mark, Tim, Jasen and Chad. This time I also had my 70-300mm zoom lens and was able to see some of the details of this structure.

IMG_6799

All of the gargoyles are different and unique. The same can be said to all the statues that are craved into this building. I was truly impressed by the detail of this place. Although I am still shocked at how small the building is compared to what I had imagined in my mind from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame movie.

IMG_6807

IMG_6794

We took the tower tour which had over 400 steps going up one of the towers. From the top there is a pretty good view of the Eiffel Tower and Sacré-Cœur. The ledges were very tight with all the tourists and there are even passages that were difficult to squeeze through with a backpack. At the very top there is a bell tower where I guess where legend says the hunchback once lived.

IMG_6833

IMG_6880

IMG_6840

After the view we descended and took a free tour of the insides of the church. It was pretty interesting that there are all these signs outside saying no flash photography, yet people were snapping pictures left and right with their flash on. The inside is massive and huge compared what I had expected from the view of the exterior. It is much more of a tourist area than a church now.

IMG_6896

IMG_6903_4_5_tonemapped

Here are some panoramic shots from the top of the two towers.

dame1

dame2

No comments:

Post a Comment