Friday, June 13, 2008

Exploring Berlin

I decided to walk around Berlin and explore the area. This generally means getting to the city center and wandering around until I get tired of walking. At that point I try to find my position on a tourist map and see if there's anything worthwhile to see around that area and/or a way of getting back to the hostel.

IMG_7178

Zoo Station is a big metro station near our hostel and I decided to start there. From there I walked towards a towering statue which turns out to the the victory angel. Near the station I found myself wading through a sea of photographers. It turns out that there is a car show that day. I finally walk through Tiergarten which is a huge park in the middle of Berlin. There is wide open spaces, trails and trees everywhere. On that day there were a ton of people biking around.

IMG_7169

IMG_7184

IMG_7190

The weather quickly changes just as I walk past the tower statue. Luckily I had bought an umbrella that morning so some scattered showers did not bother me. I continued east and found myself in tourist central. A ton of sights and memorials. Berlin seems to have some kind of memorial on every corner of the street. This is the Holocaust Memorial and one of the coolest one's I've seen. It is much better than some statue.

IMG_1873

IMG_7240

I didn't spend that much time around the touristy area as today I just wanted to get a feel of the area and find my way around the city. I knew I would be taking a walking tour after Harsha gets in the next day. So I breezed through that section and by then it was dinner time. I took the nearest S-Bahn back to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment